Friday, May 16, 2008

Turtles

So yesterday Sam was gettin ready to go out of town for an interview (in KY...another story I'll have to tell you Nessa). I called him on my way home from work to say goodbye, I'll miss you, yada yada. Well he told me he was gonna wait to leave until I got home because he had a surprise for me. So I rushed home as fast as my slow drivin self would take me. When I got to our apartment, he showed me this awesome box turtle Sadie found in the woods. I decided my kiddies at school would love to see it, so he helped me make up a little box for him. This was no ordinary turtle home. It was pretty sweet if ya really wanna know the truth. We built in a little pond, got some rocks and greenery, I should really be a landscaper for our fine reptilian friends, but let's get back to our story.
Once my new turtle Gary was settled, my Mr. McClure hit the road and it was me, Gary and Sadie left all alone. (the boys left a few weeks ago, but I think you knew that..) I played the Wii for a little while, put some laundry in the washer, and tried to just chill for a while. It was raining outside, but no thunder booms, so I was good by myself. I was good until the dang power went off. At first it wasn't so bad. It flickered on and off for about 15 min, so I sat on the couch with Sadie, and I was just hopin it would stay on. Then, it flicked off for good. I was a little scared, but I gathered my silliness together, locked all the doors (it was dark and I was alone), and found some candles and a lighter. I set them up and called my mommy. Exactly what every brave adult does in a blackout.
I talked to momma for about 30 min and the minute I got off the phone, the lights came back on. I had made it through my first lonely blackout. I was very happy, and I decided I would go check on the washer to make sure it was going ok. I stepped out the door, heard it slam, and then remembered I forgot to unlock it. Grrrrrrrrr. Luckily I was at our apartment because other people have keys. Unfortunately these other people were quite a long walk away. So I ventured outside in the rain, in the dark, with no shoes, in my pajama boxer shorts, to get the key. Luckily one key holder was home, so I was able to finally get back into the apartment. I decided I would go to bed then, so I wouldn't mess anything else up.
I woke up this morning a little tired, but I was ready to start a new day that didn't have any mistakes in it yet. Yet being the key word. I did the normal morning thing, gathered up my stuff, got Gary, and headed to the car. Halfway there, I realized I forgot my cell phone. I ran back got it, and set off in the car to go. In my hurry I just kinda tossed my phone in my purse, which just so happened to be in the front seat. Gary in his awesome temporary house was in the front floor board so I could kinda keep an eye on him. Well I was finally on my way. I stopped at the first stop sign on my journey, and BLOOP....there flew my phone into my wonderfully constructed turtle pond. I pulled over, grabbed some napkins from the glove compartment, took my phone apart and started drying it off as good as I could. As good as I could was not good enough. My phone is now dead.

Grrrr again.

1 comment:

djpb said...

you poor poor soul.
honestly though, i thought you were gonna accidently in some weird hope way kill Gary. so i'm glad the turtle is still alive.
now how many cell phones have you been through? 2? both of which met their end because of water.
i think you're more graceful than Dana. :P