Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving

I had a wonderful, awesome, terrific Thanksgiving Break, and I can't wait till Christmas!

We left Sparta early Thursday morning...well it was about 8 after we packed and took Sadie to the doggie sitters. We set out for Hendersonville to have lunch with my family at my cousin Brian's house. We had a great drive down. Driving is such a good time for me and Sam. We get to talk and talk without any interuptions, and we really get a chance to learn a lot about each other. We got there around 11 or so, and my daddy was in the driveway waiting for us. After I got to hug his neck, I dropped off Sam with him and the other men-folk, and I went into the kitchen to yak with the ladies while we finished up cooking everything.

I got to talk a lot with my Granny, and I'm really learning to treasure those times when we can sit down and talk, just the two of us. This last past year has been rough on her. The Alzheimers is really beginning to kick in, and she's having trouble remembering lots of little things. Her short term memory is almost lost completely, but she was having a really great day on Thursday. She talked and talked about how she and my Poppa met and told me all sorts of things about their relationship. I loved listening and learning more about her. I've heard lots of her stories before, but since it was just us chatting, she was able to go into a lot of detail, and I was able to ask her lots of silly questions. It was great.

Lunch was pretty awesome. I stuffed myself with lots of good food, and when those crazy men went off to do their after Thanksgiving thing, the girls stayed in and talked and talked some more. Since Rachel just found out she was pregnant (She and Jesse couldn't come, but my momma was super excited about being a grandma...), we got to hear lots of pregnancy stories. Some were good, and some were kinda scary, but all of them just made me want to have a baby soon myself. My granny cracked me up telling some of her stories. We were talking about carrying babies for longer than 9 months, and she said she was pregnant with each of her kids for about 9 months and 15 seconds! Isn't that funny?!? I didn't think she had it in her!

After our long talks and exchanging names for Christmas, we headed home. We had to stop for gas on the way, and we filled up my car for $17! We got gas for $1.84, and it was awesome! Anyways, we got home and hung out with my parents for a while, and I went to bed around 8:30 so we could get up super early to go shopping...I was very excited, but I went to sleep pretty easily. I was one tired puppy.

We got up at about 4:30 to go to Wal-mart at 5:00. When we got there, people were lined up at the door, down the parking lot, and all the way to the other side of the shopping center. It was insane. Even though we were excited to be there, we stayed in the warm car until they were all inside. We still got everything we wanted though. We fought the crowds and momma got some Christmas presents she was looking for, and I got some 550TC sheets that were pretty nice, and a handfull of DVDs...they were only $2 each. Then we went to Radio Shack where I got that Christmas present you told me about for Sam, and I got him some blank DVDs that were on sale. Then we went to K-mart, where I got some down comforter throws for our living room, and I got a shirt that was on sale for 3 buckos. I also got a cute rug for in front of our front door. It was 3 bucks too...amazing! Then we went to Peebles...this is where things got interesting! I got lots of cute clothes to wear to work and church. By then it was about 10:00, so we went home, where Sam and Daddy were pullin in the driveway. While we were out, they went out to breakfast and to look at Daddy's boat.

I got to play the piano for a little while, and then we got Granny and headed out again! We went to Dalton's, where I got part of your Christmas present, and a present for Shawnda. I also got another part of Sam's present. I'll tell you about it when I talk to you on the phone next...it's pretty sweet. After that we went to Big Lots...I didn't get anything there believe it or not. Then we went out to eat some lunch at a sandwich place. Then we went to two different craft shows and to an antique mall. I didn't buy anything, but it was lots of fun to look at everything and to spend time with Momma and Granny.

When we got home momma made some dinner while I watched some Andy Griffith with Daddy and Sambo. We ate, and then we watched Second Hand Lions, which is now one of my new favorite movies. Then we started watching a James Bond movie, but I definantly didn't last through it...I fell asleep on the floor with Trixie.

The next morning I got up early to meet Shawnda. We drove out to Asheville to get fitted for my dress. It's so pretty. I get to pick it up in January, and I'll send you a picture. We ate at Red Lobster, and then we walked around the mall some. When we got home, momma and I went up to visit with Granny and she gave me a bunch of table runners, doilies, and placemats that my great-grandmother had made. I'm so excited about them :)

That evening after dinner, we played lots of games with my parents. I love playing silly games; it was great fun. We played Trivial Pursuit, a new game called Thryme, and then we played dominoes for the longest time. We laughed and laughed at each other and had a great time.

The next moring we headed back home. The weather was nasty, so we left kinda early, and it took us a lot longer than usual to get home. We finally made it, and got home in time to get ready for school on Monday. On the ride home I got to thing about how thankful I truely am for all that God has blessed me with. I have the most amazing husband I could ask for. We're such a great match for each other. Sometimes it just blows my mind... My family is wonderful and has loved me and helped me through everything in my life. My friends (YOU :) ) make me happy every day and help to show me how cool God has made my world. He truely is an awesome God, you know it? I thank Him every day for you and all the wonderful blessings He's given me.

I am thankful :)

1 comment:

djpb said...

I'm thankful for you too, Hopie.
So you fell asleep with Trixie? That's pretty funny. I woulda liked a picture of that.
and even though you thought this post was boring, i like knowing what all you did. i like picturing you and your family playing games and you and your mom shopping that early, and everything. it's nice to picture you living your life, as corny as that sounds, it's the truth. i'm not there to watch you or hang out with you or be a part of what you do so it's nice to at least read about it. so this post was anything but boring.